Are just a handful of people really talented, or does everyone have a gift; a natural ability? Well, opinions are divided about this, but I personally believe that everyone has talent. It’s just that many people don’t know that they have a unique set of special skills. Whether it’s social skills, intelligence or pure physical skills (I.e. sports), everyone has their own personal forte.
In my opinion, there are two main steps in realising one’s potential:
Discover your talent
A very interesting and important question: how do you discover your talent? Well, there are several ways which can help you:
- Self-reflection – What am I good at?
- What do I really want?
- Is there anything stopping me? How can I overcome this?
- What do other people see in me?
Using your talent effectively
Again, there are several ways in which you can use your talent to produce the results you want:
- Being flexible and adaptable – willing to change under different circumstances
- Being open to new ideas
- Accept criticism from others
- Using your own self-reflection frequently
- Ask others how you are doing
Although these are key elements in discovering your talent and using it effectively, it can only work if you have these personal characteristics:
Self-belief (confidence), determination and perseverance